I moved from rTorrent/ruTorrent to qBittorrent because of the unsolvable issue with the first one. I feel I did the right thing. Comparing the two, ruTorrent is complicated, especially because of the many plugins.
qBittorrent has a lot of built-in features, so no additional plugin installation is required. It has great features such as:
- Email notification when the torrent finished
- Seeding limits (pause/delete torrent, when the limit has been reached)
- No Apache/Nginx install and configuration required
- Brute-force protection (no fail2ban install required)
The installation procedure is much shorter and easier than for rTorrent/ruTorrent.
Let's get started!
- Update package list
sudo apt update
- Install qbittorrent-nox, this is the command line version of qBittorrent with a built-in WebUI feature
sudo apt install qbittorrent-nox -y
- Add qbittorrent user to the system, because we will not run this service as a root
sudo useradd -r -m qbittorrent
sudo usermod -a -G qbittorrent pi
- Create a service file
sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/qbittorrent.service
- Put these lines into this file
ExecStart=/usr/bin/qbittorrent-nox -d --webui-port=8080
- Start the service and enable it for auto-start
sudo systemctl start qbittorrent ; sudo systemctl enable qbittorrent
- The WebUI works from this point. Open it in your browser
The Web UI access is secured and the default account user name is “admin” with “adminadmin” as a password.
- Change the username and password in the settings
- That's all.
- Copy files from GitHub
git clone https://github.com/repslet/nightwalker.git /home/qbittorrent/
- Remove unused files
rm -rf /home/qbittorrent/nightwalker/.git
- Set correct permission to this folder
chown -R qbittorrent:qbittorrent /home/qbittorrent/nightwalker
- Edit the configuration file, and set the path of the theme
- Restart the service
systemctl restart qbittorrent
Increase timeout value
- By default the timeout value is set to 1 hour. Increase it to 9999999 to avoid unexpected logout.
- Scroll down and press "Save" button.
Secure qBittorrent WebUI
- Change the port number in the service file to anything between 1000 and 65535
- Change the username
- Use a long password instead of a complicated one, like
You saved the password in the browser anyway, why not use a long one? :)
- Set less number for "Ban client after consecutive failures" and higher one for "ban for x seconds"
Leave a comment below if you have any questions or comments. If you liked this article, please share it with your friends.
If you found this article useful and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a small donation via PayPal. Your support will allow me to continue creating valuable content and make my blog even better. Thank you for your contribution!